Monday, December 20, 2010

to blog or not to blog...







pictures of where I will be at tomorrow night, and for Christmas.
I have been sick since before thanksgiving, and I am only starting to get better.
I went 12 days without eating, just drinking clear liquids. I have lost 30 lbs. (not the best way to do it but I'll take it.)
I am just back on solids today.

About vacation, I had the best time.
we headed out about 6 pm that first night, and it was pitch black as we left the city. the road was snaking around the mountains that serve as one side of the highway and the other side is ocean. the only light is from the headlights head of you and behind you. the first out lying crop of lights is the town of Indian,(25 miles out of town) blink and you miss it. then Bird, not much bigger. then more dark roads, oceans, mountains and the snow and ice. you hit the flats approaching Girdwood,(48 miles out of town). you have been able to see Mt. Alyeska, since the last bend around the mountain. It is lit up like the gates of heaven.
there is a service station- last place to pee and get an slurpee, for a bit.
get business done and grab a bag of cheetos, and pile into to the car that is filled with all of your stuff!
then farther south you head 11 miles to Whittier. less mountains (they are all in the distance) mainly marsh and ocean, lots of mud flats. it is really dark unless the moon is out, and it was out!
as the highway heads back into the mountains, there is a turn off, it is well lit.
you take the turn and head away from the lights and any traffic, which has been sparse since Girdwood. it is a 2 lane (one, one way. one, the other.)paved but completely snow covered, as is everything for as far as the eye can see.
Only the cars head lights and the moon.
you drive for 20 minutes as you can only go 25mph, taking the corners, watch the trees and the clouds. it is an Ansel Adams picture book every where you look. then you hit portage valley, and the receded glacier. you go thru a tunnel and hit bear valley, and further in you hit the toll booth, $12 for a round trip. and since it is below freezing, the main tunnel is only open for 5 minutes, each way once an hour. you pay your toll, and head up to the lanes to wait your turn the tunnel is 2 1/2 miles long, it is big enough for a train car, that's it. you have to stay 100 feet apart and 25 miles an hour. the air stinks like exhaust, you head in and you are driving on the tracks where the train pull there cars. they have green lights along the inside of the mountain, every so often they have shelters, in case of emergency, that have air supplies. being at the front of the line as we approach the exit of the tunnel they pull up the door and you can see the harbor and all of the water. the lights and the mountains are amazing.

So I wish you all a merry Christmas.
I stopped dreaming and I have started living, I am not around as much as I would like.
I am making memories for the cold times.
love and fishy fishes,
Adora~!

5 comments:

Tempo said...

It sounds great Shan, I had to Google the place names you mention to see where and what it's like up there. Damn cold eh! Its summer here, mild so far which means it's been fantastic. Keep smiling

Adorabibble said...

it is really beautiful, and with the moon as gorgeous as it is, we will have quite the ride, I'm off to pack then we shop and leave! I will miss you all terribly!

Beth said...

I love your description of your trip and the pictures are stunning! Merry Christmas, Bib. I hope you have a great time! *hugs*

Anonymous said...

Hi there, not been around. PC died a horrible death, using a temp at the moment, full of problems. Only solution is to buy a new one. But I'm here sometimes and reading. Great photos.

Happy New Year

AV

Tempo said...

Hope youre having fun...